Say it ain't so

Go down

Say it ain't so

Post  kayaker on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:29 am

Edited Tuesday Sept. 2nd

So, we're going to Eastern Washington to prove that summer isn't over just because Labor Day has come and gone. Greg and Shannon will be driving to the Tieton River sometime during the afternoon of Friday September 5th. Right now, we think the following people are be coming...

Friday night - Greg, Shannon, Beth, Corey, Jon, Shawntel & friend(?), Kathy, Josh
Unknown arrival - Santana, Todd
Maybe - Ian, Sherry, Andrew, others?

I talked to the Forest Service today and it's not clear that there will be any pit toilets at the sites by the river (though there were last year). Given the size of the group, we want a site with at least a vault toilet. We'll try the two sites two sites just over the bridge from highway 12, north and south of the 1200 road (helebase road, see map). If we can't find a nice site along the river we're going to look for a site up at the South Fork and/or Peninsula camp areas. We'll post a note on the bridge over the Tieton saying where we are camping.

We have a camp kitchen and are planning for a group dinner Sat night and big group breakfast on Sunday. We have most of the basics covered (stove, food, table); but you'll want to bring a tent and/or sleeping bag, chair, plate, cutlery, and maybe some water. You will definitely need to bring your own cup. We're currently thinking about doing a burrito bar with margarita's on Saturday night and a full egg breakfast on Sunday. We'll have yogurt, granola, fruit and coffee on Saturday morning for those who are there.

We can run the river multiple times on Saturday and we can run it Sunday, but we can only take 7 people at any given time. There are are plenty of other things to do including reading study , hiking, biking, swimming, beer floating affraid , rock climbing, and sleeping Sleep so bring whatever you need to occupy yourselves. Beth was able to secure at least one life-jacket, but we still need a few more helmets and life-jackets (we know we need one, but a couple more would put us on the safe side).

Looking forward to it! -greg & shannon

[Removed maps on last edit]

Last edited by kayaker on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:37 am; edited 8 times in total
kayaker

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Say it ain't so

Post  Santana on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 pm

I am interested.

Santana

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yeah

Post  King on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 pm

I'm in fo sho!
King

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kathy Young on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Oh wow! this will be the best boating/camping/hiking/eating trip ever! Count me in and Josh too, but him just for the hiking not boating. I am in for boating and eating, well we are both in for the group meals. Josh has a baby Weber that he will bring. We are thinking of leaving after work on Friday and returning Sunday. It is so...on!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy Young

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'm in for the full meal deal!

Post  Elizabeth Drake on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:05 pm

I am in for: any group meals (just tell me what I need to do), river rafting, rock climbing (I will bring my harness and shoes), mountain biking (I am bringing my bike and have room to carry another), and FUN in the sun!! I plan to leave Friday after work in my car and I have room for 2 if not 3 other people (I haven't decided if I'm going to bring Cooper).
Elizabeth Drake

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-01-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greg and Shannon's Rafting Extravaganza

Post  Jon Price on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm in, and I want a seat in Beth's car.
Jon Price

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-01-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great hike near Tieton - Bear Creek Mt

Post  Shannon on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 am

If you are in for a solid 3/4 day hike with some good elevation gain (~3300ft) to a beautiful view of the goat rocks and Rainier from the summit of a rocky peak, check out Bear Creek Mountain. There is a trail to the summit, no rock climbing neccessary. I highly recommend this hike! I do remember the drive from about where we are camping to the hike is 30+ minutes on a dirt road. We did it in a Subaru fine, just go slow, big pot holes. Expect 3 hours up, 2 hours down, 30 min on summit rest.

Permit: NW Forest Pass Required IF ANYONE HAS ONE, PLEASE BRING IT!!!

"Start at a high trailhead on the dry east side of the Goat Rocks Wilderness and hike 12.6 miles out-and-back to this rocky peak with sweeping views of the Goat Rocks Peaks, Mount Rainier, and beyond. Much of the hike is through open country, passing through subalpine forests and meadows, before climbing the open, rocky slopes to the mountainís summit."

http://books.google.com/books?id=0tRX024QA-wC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=Goat+Rocks,+Conrad+Meadows&source=web&ots=F2FuezD4AZ&sig=hlCHfD-nJIkiRjSLq499Vi5Hudw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA34,M1

http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr/of_detail.cfm?category=Hiking&rt=45679
Shannon

Registration date : 2008-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Andrew

Post  HandBlocker on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:37 pm

I'm in. I can go on Friday. Beth, I can bring my bike if you're still looking for a Mtn biking partner. Or I can do some hiking. Or just heckling. I'll try and get a life jacket and helmet. Did anyone see me hand block Ian yesterday?

--Andrew alien
HandBlocker

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Group food for raft trip

Post  Shannon on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:13 am

Just to clarify, Greg and I plan was to bring all the group food. Greg will do a grocery shopping trip Fri morning. We thought it would be easier if we just bought all the food instead of splitting it up among folks. We are bringing food for Sat night dinner (burrito bar to satisfy both carnivores and vegieheads), margaritas drunken , and Sun breakfast (eggs, hashbrowns, english muffins, vegie sausages, butter, jam). We have a huge cooler that we can put it all in. We going to ask people to contribute $10. Greg and I are also bringing 2 large campstoves and fuel, cook pots, some dishes (but we don't have MUGS for everyone), and other kitchen items. My mom will be bringing lots of smore fixings (yep, you all get to meet my mom, step-dad, and nephew).

So people should bring their own LUNCH food and possibly Sat breakfast. Although, Greg said he is going to bring a large tub of yogurt, bag of granola, frozen berries, and a dozen eggs for those who are there Sat morning. That will probably only feed 8-10 of us so if everyone from Oly comes Fri night than we will need some more breakfast items.
Shannon

Registration date : 2008-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bill's mom

Post  Jon Price on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Shannon wrote:if everyone from Oly comes Fri night

Bill's mom will be coming Friday night!
Jon Price

Number of posts : 14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

life jacket

Post  HandBlocker on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:44 pm

Shannon and Greg, I got a life jacket and kayaking helmet for the weekend for group use. Cool.
HandBlocker

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kayaker on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 am

FYI... Campfire restrictions have been lifted, so bring some wood if you have some (we don't have any). Also, although we're not camping in a campground, expect there to be a $5.00 per vehicle per day fee. I don't know exactly how this works or whether it's true for the areas by the river (all I was told is that we could camp there), but I would plan on it.

[removed links last edit]

Last edited by kayaker on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
kayaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hiking on Saturday

Post  coreynunlist on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm going hiking on Saturday. That's tomorrow actually. I think Jon and Josh are going as well. Anyone who's coming should bring a disc with them to huck from the top of the mountain. And maybe a beer.

coreynunlist

Number of posts : 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kayaker on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:14 pm

kayaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down