South Sound Ultimate Players
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon

4 posters

Go down

Would you be interested in competing in the Discathlon?

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Vote_lcap50%1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Vote_lcap25%1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Vote_lcap25%1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Empty 1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon

Post  Rich Coker Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 am

Serving as partial announcement, partial poll for interest, I'm privileged and excited to raise the topic of a South Sound Discathlon.

A Discathlon is a two day, ten event competition involving different aspects of ultimate. Scores are norm-referenced like a standard discathlon would be, utilizing equations I've borrowed from the creator of the event in an Excel spreadsheet.

The events are worth 1000 points each, and include:

Backhand Accuracy
Forehand Accuracy
Hammer Accuracy
Vertical Leap
Shuttle Run
Sprint Medley
800M Run
Throw-Run-Catch
Maximum Time Aloft
Longest Pull

This will be run as an Evergreen Ultimate fundraiser. I hope to get contestants from all over the South Sound, including primarily Olympia and Tacoma. Cost of competition would depend on number of contestants, but would be anywhere from $10 to $20 in order to cover standard tournament fare for the two days, equipment to judge the events, and a modest donation to the Evergreen Ultimate Team.

I'm thinking of coinciding the event with the beginning of Olympia Spring League, with an awards ceremony prior to the beginning of Spring League games. This would place it on the weekend of April 12th-13th. This is relatively ambitious, and perhaps could be pushed back to coincide with the end of Olympia Spring League, June 7th-8th.

Please answer the poll. It will stay up for 7 days.
Rich Coker
Rich Coker

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Back to top Go down

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Empty Need more choices in the poll

Post  Ian Ferguson Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:06 pm

I can't commit until I know more about the schedule. Besides, I'm not sure you have the kind of equipment to accurately measure my vertical leap. Nanometers are expensive.
Ian Ferguson
Ian Ferguson

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-01-15

http://www.happen.net

Back to top Go down

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Empty are there divisions?

Post  Elizabeth Drake Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 pm

I couldn't respond to your poll because none of those answers applied to me, but I was tempted to select "No..." just because. JK, Rich. It sounds interesting to me and I would do it, but I won't be in town. I hope it goes over well and you have a ton of fun.

I do have one question though...does everyone compete in the events together or are there men's and women's divisions? I mean, are we gonna send our Itty Bitty Kathy up against the famous Jeremy Clark in the vertical competition?? You should really control for these differences by measuring a rate...say inches of gain per inches of human height...

Also, do we get to write these donations off on our taxes??
Elizabeth Drake
Elizabeth Drake

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Back to top Go down

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Empty Re: 1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon

Post  Rich Coker Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:19 am

Elizabeth Drake wrote:
I do have one question though...does everyone compete in the events together or are there men's and women's divisions? I mean, are we gonna send our Itty Bitty Kathy up against the famous Jeremy Clark in the vertical competition?? You should really control for these differences by measuring a rate...say inches of gain per inches of human height...

It's an individual measurement of any particular event. The Discathlons of the past were run within the Open team in Pittsburgh as a sort of season-opening activity, so all the equations I have are scaled to men. Adding a women's division would simply mean that the scale for women would be set beginning with and within this competition.
Elizabeth Drake wrote:
Also, do we get to write these donations off on our taxes??
As soon as SSUP becomes a non-profit and can hold onto cash for the Evergreen Ultimate Team (or other disc-related activities such as Youth Outreach, etc), then yes. This is what happens in Pittsburgh for their Youth Division, PHUL Scholarship, and other donations. It's kind of like money laundering, only legal.
Rich Coker
Rich Coker

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Empty I agree with Beth (even though she's wrong).

Post  Samson Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:33 am

Yes! We need different divisions... like one for slow fat guys. I'd kick ass in that division.
Samson
Samson

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon Empty Re: 1st (Semi?)Annual South Sound Discathlon

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down